Sunday 15 July 2012

We learned why they call it Thunder Bay (Day 14)


There was a lot of rock
            It was another hot and sticky morning in the tent, but at least we were well rested. We had our longest day of driving ahead of us, a six hour trip to Thunder Bay. After breakfast, we packed up the van and took to the trans Canada once more. 

He swallowed the toothpaste
This was my first trip on the trans Canada. It's a little piece of civilization in the wilderness, winding its way up and down large hills with large rock cliffs looming overhead. The scenery was enjoyable, but driving the van on this terrain can be quite difficult. 6 feet wide, 20 feet long, and carrying over 4,000 pounds of cargo, the tight turns and steep inclines of the Canadian Shield gave us our fair share of close calls.  

Passing vehicles were also hazardous. GD almost pooped his pants on one of my more daring maneuvers. A transport truck had pulled aside to let me pass and Greg urged me to accept the offer. As I passed the truck, another car emerged from behind a bend, 100 meters ahead. Fortunately, I was able to pass just as the other car veered passed.

Matt in his touring outfit
                And if something were to happen, we would be far from anyone able to help. This was the most isolated part of the world I have ever been, where 3,000 people is a city, 200 kilometres close, and with signs that only say Ontario in case you’ve forgotten you are still there. The few people here all live in towns oriented around the highway where they survive on a simple exchange of commodities. People drive in. They take gas and food. They leave money and shit behind. 
       
 
Looking like rockstars in Thunder Bay
                We arrived in Thunder Bay on a Saturday evening, although days of the week have lost their meaning to us. The downtown was devoid of pedestrians with only a few vagrants. Having loaded up on supplies—namely beer and propane—we decided we had had enough of this town already and returned to the campsite. 

The cheese spent 3 days in the van
                We were all a bit tired and hungry at that point, and tempers were running high. While setting up the tent, GD whacked Matt on the back of the head with the tent pole, part of an ill-conceived scheme to antagonize him as a source of entertainment. Matt cursed GD and gave him a long stare, but nothing happened beyond that. Soon after, dinner was ready and things cooled down. 

                With food and beer in our bellies, the Argyles decided to do some much needed practicing. GD baselines were becoming more and more solid. Greg also helped me work on some new sax parts. I am a proficient sax player, but struggle to come up with good parts on my own. I don’t have the same ear that he does. It was frustrating to see the ease at which he came up them while I was unable to contribute whatsoever.

Practicing in the washing station

We made a new friend
But rather than wallowing around in my own self pity, I decided to do something about it. After we got back to the tent, I picked up the guitar for the first time. Greg and Martin instructed me how to do power chords. Soon enough, I was able to play a part of Smells Like Teen Spirit and even played along with Greg for the verses of My Generation. It was the largest grin I had sported since first year. Looks like I have a new hobby.


3 comments: