Friday 20 July 2012

Running on Empty (Day 18)


There was nothing to look at
              I woke up confused. Why was I so cool, comfortable, and well rested compared to my usual mornings? Then it hit me: I was sleeping in the van. Head pounding, I made my way to Abstract’s house where I discovered it was 1pm. I also found 2 other Argyles and Martin with empty  expressions and bloodshot eyes. The tent had gotten super hot and they had been unable to sleep past 10.
The only exception was Matt Dowling.  But shortly after, Matt stumbled into the house in a zombie like state. Sure his eyes were open and he could respond to instructions, but by other important definitions he was still asleep. Indeed, he was noticeably more fatigue over the past few days and would fall asleep throughout the day. The rappers even nicknamed him houseplant.

Loadin up on some platfood
                We also discovered that we could no longer stay at Abstracts. He was going to join Relic, Rash, and Fresh Kils for the final leg of their tour. Our time with the rappers was over. We lined up to say our goodbyes. The handshakes were awkward. I had gone in for a traditional one with Relic whereas he did a rap one. With Abstract, I had misstep during the fist pound. But it didn’t matter. Despite all of our differences, we had all become friends.
Matt asleep. Again.

                I had enjoyed my time with them. I felt like I understood them as people much better than I had before. At first, I had dismissed their swagger as arrogance and their diction as unintelligent. But I was wrong: they operate in another cultural universe with different expectations of behavior; one which we could learn form. The Argyles could use more swagger. 

This was just what we needed
             But having depleted our energy reserves, we were relieved to be  camping in the countryside instead of camping in Abstract's backyard. After a few chores, we spent the day at ease, with naps a plenty and a delicious chili dinner to top it. Yet it wasn’t all peace and quiet: Matt and GD were sparring over something I can’t even remember. They have internalized the fight narrative I laid out for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment